When it comes to window replacement in Toronto, you don’t have to wait for your windows to wear out completely before getting it done. Several window replacement guides are flaunting on the internet that will give you new residential windows with more energy efficiency and enhanced security.
Basic Window Replacement Guide in Toronto
Due to the several window types, designs, and materials available in the market to choose from, replacing windows can be pretty confusing for most homeowners. That is the reason why HighRise GRT has decided to compile a basic window replacement guide that will help you through your window replacement project.
How to Save Money When Replacing Windows?
When carrying out window replacement, it is essential to understand the window replacement guide to conduct a thorough examination of your entire window. You must check if the frames are not worn or damaged because sometimes only the windowpane is broken, but the frames remain intact. By doing so, you can save on buying new frames and also paying for labour. However, if you notice that the edges and the entire window are all in a bad state, replacing the whole window is the solution.
Several window materials are available for window replacement. Wood and vinyl are the most common types. Although Fibreglass is also available due to its durability, it remains not so common as these two. However, these materials are not a guarantee for performance as each one has its features and advantages.
a. Wood Frames
Wood frames are usually covered with aluminum or vinyl on their outside areas to protect the window from unfavourable elements such as water and insects. This frame helps in cutting down the maintenance cost because you are not required to repaint them.
b. Vinyl Frames
Same with wooden frames, Vinyl has low maintenance because it also doesn’t need repainting. They are also very affordable, so many homeowners opt for this frame to get window replacement in Toronto. They are typically white, so to match your house, you can paint outside the colour you feel would suit your home well.
c. Fibreglass Frames
Usually, fibreglass frames are made from wood and plastic materials combination. While their parts are made from solid wood and plastic embedded with wood fibres. This combination is what makes them durable and long-lasting. They also have low maintenance costs as they don’t require much repainting.
The Types of Windows
Besides the materials used to make the frames, there are also different types that you may get in a window replacement guide. Usually, windows are categorized by panes numbers, operation, and how they are hinged. Below are some of the different window types you can consider for your window replacement project.
a. Double-hung Windows
In most window replacement projects, double-hung is the most common type of windows used in Toronto. You can open them by sliding the lower sash upwards and the upper sash inwards for enough air circulation. If you have air conditioning at home, this one is the right option for you.
These windows slightly resemble double-hung. The only difference is the bottom sash moves to open for the single hung, unlike the double-hung. Also, you cannot move the top sash because it is fixed. They are mostly used for window replacement in Toronto because they are also less costly.
c. Casement-style Windows
They are also one of the common types in the market. Casement-style windows also give an unobstructed view and provide enough ventilation and lighting to your house. They have their hinges on one side, so you can also open them to the outside. When you close them, the sash holds tightly to the frame, making them more airtight than double-hung windows.
d. Awning-style Windows
This type of window is also one of the best options when replacing your window. Usually, they can be opened to the outside because it is hinged at the top. When you close it, the sash will press against the frame tightly. It is easy to operate.
Other Tips to Consider When Replacing Your Windows
Aside from the materials and types that we have provided in our window replacement guide, we also include some of the basic yet essential tips to replace your window in Toronto. Consider these crucial things when getting a window replacement.
- To get the best deals, use only those materials and products designed to meet the performance levels recommended by the manufacturer. Products and materials that are not suited to extreme weather conditions would not function well and create a hazard risk or danger to those living inside the building in the future.
- Another vital tip to replace your window is to consider rebalancing HVAC systems when installing energy-efficient windows. This system allows accommodation to ensure reduced air infiltration levels takes place. Otherwise, the high pressure within the building would draw air from the outside through your windows’ small holes and cracks, causing whistling or howling noise. Moreover, water might also infiltrate your house due to the high pressure inside. Thus, always consider HVAC systems rebalancing.
- Several window replacement guides, particularly for those public buildings, also include safety regulation that warns against allowing windows to keep out beyond the building’s face.
- Take note that there’s no such thing as one-size-fits-all in window installation. So if you plan on doing something that contradicts your manufacturer’s installation procedures, you better consult with them first as they are more experienced in the project.
- Safety glazing is also required when replacing a window, mainly if a pane is greater than 9 square feet, the top edge is greater than 36 inches, and the bottom edge is less than 18 inches above the floor.
- It’s also equally important to note the proper usage of sealant. Window drainage planes play a vital role in preventing air leakage and water infiltration.
When to Get a Window Replacement?
A good rule of thumb that will signal you to replace your window is the age of your home. If it is older than 15 years, then it’s time you did a thorough inspection of your windows. However, to help you decide, it is also crucial to familiarize yourself with the window replacement guide. It contains all the necessary things about replacing a window, be it at home or your commercial building.
On the other side, window replacement is more complicated than they seem. If you have little to no experience and knowledge about it, it would be better to hire professionals to do your window projects. Professionals at HighRise GRT are experts for window installment. Not only do we have all the necessary qualifications and tools, but we also have years of experience, making us extremely skilled at replacing and installing your windows. You may call us at (416) 875-5285 for more information.